Friday, April 3, 2009

why fundraise?

I have been asked a few times, "Why do you have to do a fundraiser"? 4 Paws For Ability gives the parents the opportunity to fundraise for their child's dog on behalf of 4 Paws rather than be put on a waiting list for 2-5 years. Fundraising is a requirement that we must fulfill in order to be placed with a service dog. The rules are very strict and must be followed closely.
Fundraising serves two purposes:

1. The community will have a greater awareness and support of service dogs and children with disabilities. By raising awareness, we hope to create a greater acceptance of service dogs and children with special medical and emotional needs. This will also make it easier and more understandable to others when Caitlin is in public with her assistance dog. It is also our hope that perhaps another family with a child in need will learn about the opportunity that these dogs can give to their child as well.

2. Fundraising is hard work! By fundraising for the dog, the families are "working" for the dog rather than just writing a check (if a family had an extra $11,000 laying around)! By fundraising, this keeps 4 Paws For Ability as a Non Profit Agency--and gives the family a sense of great pride and accomplishment that they had such a large part in making this opportunity possible for their child. Incidentally, we will also have to pay an additional $8,000 for travel expenses when our dog is ready for family training.

On a personal note, this whole process is giving me another benefit. I have gained a greater perspective of just how wonderful, kind, and truly generous people can be. I always knew that there were many good people in the world, but I never knew how many good people were walking around in MY world. I have to say that prior to this process, I often felt isolated and at times even distraught over my daughter's situation. Since beginning this process, I feel much more hopeful for the future. So many people are sincerely caring and thinking about our family that we can't help but feel uplifted and positive. I really hope that I can help share that feeling and spread a little additional kindness towards all that I encounter. Thank you for your concern!

No comments:

Post a Comment